Free Download Manager is a comprehensive download manager with support for bandwidth optimization, pause and resume, torrent files, flash video downloads, and lots more.
Free Download Manager (FDM) Portable has some important issues to keep in mind in terms of portability that differ from other portable apps. These issues include:
- DOWNLOAD LOCATION - FDM Portable will default to X:\Downloads as the location for any files you download by default. You can alter this by right-clicking each folder (Music, Other, Software, Video) and entering a new location. The string %sdrive% in the location indicates the current drive letter X:\ and should be left there with your selected path including it. The only time it is recommended that you alter this string is if you are running FDM Portable from a synced cloud drive (like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc) in which case it is recommended that you use %userprofile% so that it will remain in your synced drive across PCs. This would be in the form %userprofile%\Google Drive, %userprofile%\Documents\My Dropbox or similar.
- BROWSER INTEGRATION - Browser integration is disabled by default in the portable version as it can cause your drive to be unable to eject when a local browser is still using the extensions or plugins that FDM provides them. It is recommended you only integrate it with your portable browser (FDM has built-in support for Firefox Portable when you enable it) or ensure you close your local browser before closing FDM Portable. You can adjust these settings within Options - Settings - Downloads - Monitoring.
- FLASH VIDEO DOWNLOADING - Video downloading is disabled by default for similar reasons to browser integration. You can enable it with the same precautions. You can adjust these settings within Options - Settings - Downloads - Flash Video.
- OPINIONS - The Opinions tab is available but not focused by default during/after downloads due to the fact that it is not portable. You will be using the local Internet Explorer browser for any pages you view or submit within this tab, which will leave traces behind. It can be re-enabled by default within Options - Settings - Downloads.
Note that Free Download Manager can not run from UNC network paths.
- Publisher: Free Download Manager Team & PortableApps.com
- Date Updated: 2017-11-07
- Date Added: 2012-08-01
- System Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
- App License: Open Source (GPL)
- Source: Free Download Manager, PortableApps.com Launcher, PortableApps.com Installer
- MD5 Hash: a24eb1fc80512dc810a9a29bcbdad87d