It's time for another 'PortableApps.com Status Update' on what's new in the last week. We've got new apps, a pile of app updates, an update on the platform progress, an update on site upgrade progress, and more. Read on for the details
In the last 6 days we've had another 6 new apps go live, making 94 new apps in the 94 days of app-ness so far. You can easily track new releases in the New Apps Tracker we debuted last week. It's linked from the homepage just below the news announcements, too.
- CDEx Portable - cd audio extraction and conversion
- gPodder Portable - podcast receiver and manager
- HDHacker Portable (Freeware) - MBR and boot sector manager
- Mnemosyne Portable - flashcard memorization tool
- netPanzer Portable - multiplayer tactical warfare
- SWI-Prolog Portable - Prolog programming environment
Pile of App Updates
We've had a much higher than usual rate of apps in need of update in the last week, which has taken a bit more time away from new development. In the last 6 days, we had the new beta of Firefox 4, double updates of Firefox 3 and Thunderbird 3, SeaMonkey, and the upcoming Firefox Legacy 3.5.17 release. Those apps updates alone total 116 updated portable app packages (due to multiple languages) and that's not even including the other 2 dozen app updates or double updates of Google Chrome on multiple channels. We're still sorting through the last dozen updates but will be caught up over the weekend.
Firefox 4 Beta and Thunderbird 3.3 Alpha
We have both the latest Mozilla Firefox 4.0 Beta 12 release and the latest Miramar 3.3 Alpha 2 (Thunderbird) release portablized and ready for testing. This should help in getting more testers on both apps and help shake out any issues with portablization well before the actual release.
LibreOffice Update Coming
We've been doing some extra work on the next LibreOffice update to fix the existing bugs (localization selection issue, some speed issues) as well as support more languages without drastically increasing the size of the file. We've gotten some input from some of The Document Foundation folks and should have the update out within the next few days or so.
Drupal Upgrade Progress
Not much new to report on this front, unfortunately. This is primarily due to time constraints. We'll hopefully have some good news next week. In the meantime, here's last week's post with the last details...
Some more progress has been made on the Drupal upgrade scripts. We may wind up hiring a Drupal expert to assist with the process, though, due to the complexity. We should know more at some point this week. As a reminder, Drupal is the content management system on which the site runs and it is in need of an upgrade to the latest major version release. However, the upgrade process is crashing without any useful errors or any indication of the issue. So, we'll be performing a manual upgrade from version 6 to 7. This will allow us better localization and allow us to implement our site redesign and new app directory.
Nothing major in the last week on the financial front, either, though we are exploring more into merchandise as well as drives. I'll post more as we know it. In the meantime, here's last week's update...
We're still exploring some options for fund-raising in the run-up to 2.0. We like the idea of a PortableApps.com store where you can buy t-shirts, mousepads, mugs, etc. We're also looking into doing a branded drive just as a fundraiser. We don't want to do it long-term as we're not looking to compete with our upcoming hardware partnerships.
As mentioned before, bandwidth costs continue to grow and the need for additional hardware presents itself, the additional funds are definitely going to help. In terms of monthly unique visitors, we're closing in on the likes of BoingBoing, SlashDot and similar sites and the hosting costs are reflecting that. Currently, we're covering the additional overhead from personal funding sources.
We still plan to kick this off soon after the 1.9 release is posted and will be providing more details at the time. We may do something similar to wikipedia's call for donations, though likely without my face looking sad on every page of the site. :) We're always looking for ideas and suggestions as well, so feel free to drop us a note to our developer contact address or post a note in the forums.
1.9 / 2.0 Beta 6 Platform Progress
A small amount of progress was made in the last week on the upcoming platform release, but it was slow going due to the volume of app updates and some other behind-the-scenes legal and financial work. I was trying to target next week for the 1.9 release, but it doesn't look like that will happen at the moment. There are still a couple bugs in category handling and localization of categories as well as several fit and finish bugs that were noticed with the last 2.0 Beta 5 release as well as some pre-builds of 1.9.
The only way to hit next week would be if we hold off on categories until the 1.9.1 release the following week or so. It's still looking like we'll be able to do weekly or biweekly updates once we hit 1.9. And this would allow some of our soon-to-be partners to start bundling co-branded versions of the PA.c Platform and help ease our financial situation. But I'd like to check with the rest of the community for thoughts on this possibility first. The question may actually be moot as I have some development time scheduled for this weekend after the app updates and may be able to knock the final categories issues out then.
That's it for this update. Keep an eye on this blog for the next update and have a great weekend everybody!