on-demand fake alert and common virus remover
Download from PortableApps.com
This is an online installer that will download McAfee Stinger during setup
McAfee Stinger Portable can run from a cloud folder, external drive, or local folder without installing into Windows. It's even better with the PortableApps.com Platform for easy installs and automatic updates.
McAfee Stinger removes 6,000 common viruses and 'fake alert' malware on-demand. It is not a replacement for a full antivirus, but handy in many situations. While not a replacement for full fledged antivirus software, Stinger is updated multiple times a week to include detection for newer Fake Alert variants and prevalent viruses. Note that suspicious and infected files will be quarantined to C:\Quarantine\Stinger and a database will be generated for the currently-scanned PC in that location. Note that other apps must be closed before scanning with McAfee Stinger as it appears to force close unrelated apps like FileZilla which can lead to data loss. McAfee Stinger Portable must be run a second time after scanning to fully clean up the local machine and maintain portability. McAfee Stinger requires admin rights to run.
- Publisher: McAfee & PortableApps.com (John T. Haller)
- Date Updated: 2019-05-13
- Date Added: 2012-12-09
- System Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10
- App License: Freeware (Personal and business use)
- Source: PortableApps.com Launcher, PortableApps.com Installer
- MD5 Hash: 56786f69ef8eda7a2336c9038f31eb22
- SHA256 Hash: faad2bb5d0c1e34da3bc90d2a071939250995ad652aa838527e6d4c8d40e1489
PortableApps.com is not affiliated with McAfee. McAfee and Stinger are trademarks of McAfee, Inc.