on-demand fake alert and common virus remover
Download from PortableApps.com
McAfee Stinger removes thousands of common viruses and 'fake alert' malware on-demand. It is not a replacement for a full antivirus, but handy in many situations. While not a replacement for full fledged antivirus software, Stinger is updated multiple times a week to include detection for newer Fake Alert variants and prevalent viruses.
Local Quarantine Location: Suspicious and infected files will be quarantined to C:\Quarantine\Stinger and a database will be generated for the currently-scanned PC in that location.
Close Other Apps: Other apps should be closed before scanning with McAfee Stinger as it may force close unrelated apps like FileZilla which can lead to data loss. McAfee Stinger requires admin rights to run.
Rootkit Scan Service: Selecting to scan for rootkits (off by default) will result in a McAfee Validation Service being installed to the local PC and then left behind. It can be removed with the McAfee Consumer Product Removal tool (MCPR).
- Publisher: McAfee & PortableApps.com (John T. Haller)
- Date Updated: 2023-11-29
- Date Added: 2012-12-09
- System Requirements: Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10, 11
- App License: Freeware (Personal and business use)
- Source: PortableApps.com Launcher, PortableApps.com Installer
- SHA256 Hash: 70dc131cf5cdefb81f4a02a0e3945eec1a5122dd2589c51c1080a9edcea19963
PortableApps.com is not affiliated with McAfee. McAfee and Stinger are trademarks of McAfee, Inc.