Happy new year from the folks at PortableApps.com! We hope you had a great holiday season and we all wanted to wish you an awesome 2011! In case you missed it, we just finished up with releasing a new app every day in December for what we called 31 Days of App-Ness. The full list of all the great new apps is below. But we've got even better news, we're just going to keep releasing new apps. We've had so much fun and had so many people enjoying them, we figured we'd just keep on going. So, today saw another new app. So will tomorrow. And for the folks eager to get their hands on the new PortableApps.com Platform, the release is coming up shortly. We'll announce it on our RSS feed, Twitter, Facebook, homepage and in our newsletter, so keep an eye on one to find out right away. For the complete details on the new apps and the upcoming platform update, please read on...
New Apps - 32 and Counting!
Since December 1st, we've released a new portable app every day. If you've been busy with the holidays, you might have missed one or two. So, here's a quick recap for everybody:
- SQLite Database Browser Portable - Simple SQLite database management tool
- Gramps Portable - genealogical research software
- Marble Portable - virtual globe and atlas
- TypeFaster Portable - touch typing tutor
- Battle for Wesnoth Portable - turn-based fantasy strategy game
- Brutal Chess Portable - 3d chess
- Freeciv Portable - empire-building strategy game
- Hedgewars Portable - turn-based strategy, artillery and comedy game
- IceBreaker Portable - wall-building-style arcade game
- LMarbles Portable - pattern-matching puzzle game
- Neverball Portable - 3d rolling ball obstacle course
- OpenTTD Portable - urban planning simulation
- Pathological Portable - color-matching puzzle game
- Twin Distress Portable - color matching puzzle game
- WAtomic Portable - molecular puzzle game
- Zaz Portable - color-matching puzzle game
Graphics & Pictures
- Finance Explorer Portable (Freeware) - personal financial management
- FocusWriter Portable - distraction-free word processor
- RedNotebook Portable - modern journal and diary
- WinDjView Portable - a lightweight DjVu viewer
- Ant Renamer Portable - Advanced file renaming utility
- Console Portable - console window enhancement
- Converber Portable (Freeware) - convert units of measurement
- Daphne Portable - process explorer, killer and debugger
- Free UPX Portable (Freeware) - advanced executable compression
- Regshot Portable - registry and file comparison
- Smart Defrag Portable (Freeware) - disk defragmentation and optimization
- Synkron Portable - file and directory synchronization
- UUID-GUID Generator Portable - generate unique identifiers
- XN Resource Editor Portable -lightweight binary resource editor
We couldn't have done all of that without the new developers we've brought on board to help with app releases. You'll find the full list on our team page. So, please join me in thanking them for the work they are doing. Also, we couldn't have done it without the new publishers we've brought on board who either gave us permission to portablize their software or used out tools to make it portable themselves. When the publisher of a piece of software you enjoy joins the PortableApps.com universe, please be sure and thank them.
New Platform Nearly Complete
If you were good (and didn't deserve a lump of coal) we told you we'd be giving you your gift soon. It's taken a bit of extra time -- we wound up having to spend a couple days doing some server configuration and upgrades... the cost of having one of the world's more popular websites -- but it's nearly done. So, soon we'll be releasing a stable and beta update to the PortableApps.com Platform. The stable release will get the PortableApps.com Updater to keep all your apps up to date, which has been in wide beta for 6 months after being in limited alpha testing for years. The beta release will get a near-final version of the new theming engine, new updater features, the introduction of categories/folders and a few more surprises. We'll be following that with 1 or 2 more betas and then the 2.0 final release later this month... or next... just to be safe. :)
More New Stuff
In addition to all the new apps and the new platform updates, you'll be seeing some major updates to the PortableApps.com website itself. There will be changes to the app directory, the forums, more community features and a few more things we've been working on behind the scenes. We'll be introducing them throughout the month leading up to the 2.0 release and beyond.
That's it for now fellow portable app-ers. We hope you've enjoyed the new apps, this update and are looking forward to the new stuff coming this month. Here's to 2011 being the best year yet for all of us!
We love you guys!
- The PortableApps.com Team